June 17, 2013

Upside down content...

Ever have a client (or been a client) who said: “I don’t have a lot to spend, so I just want to do a quick little video for YouTube”?

Every time I hear this, sirens and alarm bells start going off inside my head…Danger! Careful! Wrong way! Do not enter!

Who would think that NOT spending for the world's largest, global audience would be a good idea?  That's why I think of it as upside-down content.

If part of what we’re doing as communicators and content producers is reducing business risk, why oh WHY would we risk a brand, a reputation, a stock price—on not spending ENOUGH to mitigate risk?

One of the best “little videos on YouTube” I’ve seen recently was for COKE.

Underproduced ON PURPOSE, with no unnecessary computer-generated special effects.

Over planned ON PURPOSE, giving utmost care and strategic thinking to the concept, the audience, the execution, the BRAND.

I don’t know how much they spent on this little YouTube video, but I’m betting it was just ENOUGH to be

On STRATEGY.
On MESSAGE.
On SCHEDULE.
And
Bottom-line, AUTHENTIC and EFFECTIVE.



Who can argue with over 3,000,000 views of this little video on YouTube?!

No comments: